* If your product is not listed above, no firmware is available for download.
Windows users click here
A small portion of drive space on your new My Passport or My Book hard drive has been used to create a Virtual CD (VCD). The VCD contains the WD SmartWare installation software, the encryption and password protection application, User Manuals, and other resource files. The VCD looks like an actual CD volume and appears on the screen each time you connect your WD drive to the computer.
The VCD is necessary if you wish to install WD SmartWare or if you want to use the encryption and password protection features on the drive.
If you don't wish to run WD SmartWare or use the security features, you can disable the VCD following the steps below. The VCD can be re-enabled by running the VCD manager.
IMPORTANT: The following precautions must be performed before installing the firmware update:
Failure to perform these precautions may cause data corruption/loss and/or drive failure.
- All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled
- All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled
- ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled
Virtual CD (VCD) Manager
- Download VCD Manager VirtualCDManager_v1003.zip for Mac to your desktop.
- Unzip the utility and double click to open.
- Click Continue to disable the VCD.
- Click Accept the End User's License Agreement (EULA).
- Click Drive to configure and select your drive.
- Verify desired Virtual CD setting.
- Once the utility has found your drive, click Configure Drive.
- Once the Virtual CD setting is finished, click Exit.
- Power cycle the drive - For My Passport, disconnect the USB cable. For My Book disconnect both USB and power cables.
- Wait 10 seconds. Reconnect the USB/power cables.
- Verify that the VCD no longer appears.